M, #283, b. 1719, d. 16 June 1805
- Birth*: 1719; Europe2
- Marriage*: Principal=Anna Maria (?)3
- Marriage*: Principal=Maria Magdalena (?)
- Death*: 16 June 1805; Lancaster, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania; "Johan Christopher Grafford Aged 85-5-14"4,5
- Burial*: Lancaster First Reformed, Lancaster, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania; "John Christopher Grafert 1719 - 1805"2
Last Edited: 3 May 2019
- Name Variation: Christofel Graffert6
- Name Variation: Christopher Graffort7
- Immigration*: 2 September 1743; Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co., Pennsylvania; Stoffel Graffert / Christoffel Graffert: Ship Loyal Judith, James Cowey, Master, from Rotterdam, last from Cowes, Qualified September 2, 1743.8
- Note*: BIOGRAPHY
Martha Bladen Clark in her paper "History of Lot 159" wrote short biographies of each owner:
"Christopher Crawford, or Graffort, as the name was originally spelled, was one of the early inn-keepers. He served his country in the War of Revolution during the jersey campaign, from August, 1776, to February 1777. He was a Captain-Lieutenant of a standing guard in Lancaster, under the command of Colonel George Ross, on July 1, 1776. He also held the position of Sub-Lieutenant of the county in the year 1777, with Colonel Bertram Galbraith of Donegal, as Lieutenant.
During the Revolutionary War there was the necessity of organizing and disciplining the forces of the county to have good soldiers for the army. This was the occasion which compelled the making of a law by the Supreme Executive Council, viz: A Lieutenant and his assistant, a Sub-Lieutenant, with the rank of Colonel. Their duties were many. They had charge of the raising, arming and provisioning of the military part of the district, and collecting fines, which were imposed on the soldiers for neglect of duties required of them. As early as 1758 Mr. Crawford was a prominent member of the First Reformed Church, and in 1786 he was one of its trustees. In 1750 he was Assistant Burgess of the borough, serving for six years, and in 1764 an officer of the Union Fire Company. When Matthias Slough, as Coroner, on December 14, 1763, summoned a jury to inquire concerning the murder of the Conestoga Indians by the Paxton boys, he, with other prominent men of the county, was chosen to serve on the jury. Casper Singer, a prominent tanner of Lancaster, in 1777 gave a generous contribution to the Pennsylvania Hospital, and he named Mr. Crawford and Mr. Adam Reigart a committee to receive other donations for the same purpose. He was one of the Trustees of Franklin College in 1786. Mr. Crawford was married twice. His second was Mary Culp, to whom he was married December 23, 1767."9
- Note: NAME
Name: Graffert, Graffort, Crawford
Church historian F. C. Williams wrote "The treasurer of the Consistory at this period signed all German documents as Christofel Graffert and all English documents as Christopher Crawford."
Other sources commonly transcribe Graffert as Graffort.10
- Note: LIST OF CHILDREN
Christopher Crawford's will names only one child, his daughter Catharine. She is the only child that this compiler can prove.
No birth records have been found for Catharine or any other of Christopher Crawford's children. Given his immigration date and her birth date, some children may have been born in Europe, some in America. Other Crawford families have lived in Lancaster County continuously from the 1740s, so not all Crawfords are necessarily related.
The following are candidate children:
1) Phillip Grafford, to whom Christopher Graffort sold his inn in 1762, and children he sponsored in baptism in 1757 and 1772. This is probably the Philip Graffort who married Anna Maria Ischet 1755 Apr 27, Lancaster First Reformed; and she died 7 Feb 1795.
2) Christopher Crawford, a resident of the borough of Lancaster, and named the son of Christopher senior in Williams' book.
3) Anna Maria, wife of Henry Dueringer, for whom "Christopher Kraffort & wf father-in-law" sponsored the baptism of their child Christopher on 27 March 1757. But this might be Anna Maria Schmae who married Henry Dueringer 8 Jul 1755 in the same church.
- Note: First: Christopher Graffort and his wife Anna Maria sponsored about twenty four baptisms in the Lancaster First Reformed Church between 3 June 1750 and 16 Mar 1766. She is named in about twelve of these; in some as simply 'wife'. And in a 1761 deed his wife is Mary. Then in 1768 her death was recorded. So his first wife and mother of the children was certainly named Anna Maria.
Second: Christopher sponsored three more baptisms after his first wife died: In April 1772 "Christopher Graffort & Maria grandparents" sponsored a child of his daughter. Then in December 1772 and in 1774 "Christoper Graffort & Margaret" sponsored two baptisms. In his 1804 will, he names his wife Mary. And buried in the same churchyard as him was "Maria Maddalena Grafertin 1730 - 1805". Presumably this Maria Magdalena was his second wife Mary.
A marriage license was issued in Pennsylvania for Christopher Crawford and Mary Culp, 23 Dec 1769. Possibly this was our Christopher Crawford, but no supporting evidence has been found.11,12
- Note: FIRST REFORMED CHURCH
Christofel Graffert was among the twenty prominent members of the Congregation of the First Reformed Church in Lancaster, Pa. who in January 1750 signed an agreement with their new pastor Ludwig Ferdinand Vock.13
- Note: MILITARY SUPPLIES
In a footnote Rupp states: "1777 2d May...Christopher Crawford...
...appointed by the war-office, to supply the army with blankets, &c. for Lancaster county, Pa."14
- Note: MILITIA
In the Pennsylvania Archives, 'Muster Rolls relating to the Associators and Militia of the County of Lancaster,' Christopher Crawford is listed as one of five Sub-Lieutenants March 12, 1777.
Statements from September 1777 record that "Christopher Crawford, Esquire, Sub-Lieutenant of the County of Lancaster" procured twelve different people to serve as a paid substitutes in the militia of Lancaster County.15
- Note: OATH OF ALLEGIANCE
Christopher Grafford is recorded as taking the oath of allegiance in 1778.16
- Note: FRANKLIN COLLEGE
The charter of Franklin College was granted by the Legislature on 10 March 1787. The charter named about forty five trustees, including Christopher Crawford and Adam Reigart. A footnote in Dubbs book states "In the German list this name appears as 'Graffert' and this was probably the original spellig. He was a prominent citizen of Lancaster and had been an officer in the Revolution."17
- Note: WILL
Will of Christopher Crawford of the borough of Lancaster, dated February 4, 1804; proved January 20, 1816.
Names wife Mary, and daughter Catharine married to Andrew Graff. Wife to live in his residence during her life or widowhood - the property "bounded on the east by Prince Street on the South by Chestnut Street and on the West by Water Street." Wife is given £18 a year, and certain items including "the bedstead and curtains which she brought to me." Daughter Catharine is given the residual, including another property "bounded on the north by a lot of Adam Reigart on the East by a fourteen foot alley on the south by a lot now of William Montgomary and on the west by Queen Street". Executor son-in-law Andrew Graff.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Will Book M, page 1-2. Viewed on Viewed on FHL Microfilm 21359, and on FamilySearch.org image 318. Abstracted by Jeff Moore.1
- Note: DEEDS - LANCASTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
On 13 Oct 1750 four arbitrators settled a dispute between Christopher Graffert and Paul Witsall, neighbors with adjoining half lots in the borough of Lancaster, regarding fences and access to a water well.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol A, p. 256. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 134.
On 5 Apr 1753 Andrew Hersey and Mary his wife and Henry Bostler and Anna Maria his wife granted to Christopher Grafford of the borough of Lancaster yeoman, in consideration of £40.11, a half lot in the borough of lancaster containing in front on Queen Street 32 feet 2 1/4 inches and in depth to a 14' alley 245 feet bounded on the north by a lot nor or late of Tetrick Caraner on the east by a 14 foot alley on the south by the other part of said lot now occupied by Paul Whitsall and on the west by Queen Street. The half lot was part of a lot granted 14 Jan 1740 by James Hamilton to Hannah Vanhulst; the lot became vested in Thomas Cookson and Peter Warrall, who on 8 Oct 1746 granted the half lot to Andrew hersey and Henry Bostler.
Recorded 25 Feb 1762, Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol D, p. 85. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 47
On 11 Jan 1754 John Michael Sweyer and Maudlina his wife mortgaged to Christopher Crawford of the Borough of Lancaster, innholder, for £276.4 and interest due 11 May 1755, a tract on a branch of Mill Creek in Lancaster county. Crawford acknowledged satisfaction 26 march 1754.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol G, p. 351. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 186.
On 7 May 1761 Christopher Graffort of the borough of Lancaster and Mary his wife granted to Phillip Grafford of the said borough innkeeper, in consideration of £250, a "certain moiety half lot" in the borough of Lancaster, in Philip Graffort's actual possession, containing in front on Queen Street 32 feet 2 1/4 inches and in depth to a fourteen foot alley 245 feet bounded on the east by Queen Street on the north by Chestnut street on the west by said alley and on the south by a half lot in the tenure and occupation of Christian Voght. The lot was the northernmost moiety or half part of a lot which George Tedlo and Dorethea his wife and Christian Free granted to Christopher Graffort on 23 October 1751. Signed Christopher Crawfort and Mary Crawfort.
Recorded 3 July 1765, Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol M, p. 25. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 343.
On 28 May 1764 Anna Margaretta Marburg, widow of John Casper Marbourg, mortgaged to Christopher Graffort of the Borough of Lancaster, for £150 due within one month after her death a parcel in the borough of Lancaster. The parcel fronted for eight feet eight inches on Kings Street, running southward 245 feet south to a fourteen foot alley. Anna Margaretta Marburg settled with Crawford, and he acknowledged satisfaction 8 April 1775.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol N, p. 564. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 875.
On 29 August 1764 Christopher Crafford and Mary his wife granted to Philip Kloninger, in consideration of £10, a lot in Lebanon containing 2 1/2 acres and twenty perches.
Recorded 18 Nov 1783, Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol X, p. 275. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 142.
On 20 May 1765 Henry Musser and Ann his wife granted to Christopher Crawford of the borough of Lancaster gentleman, in consideration of £10, a lot in the borough of Lancaster, fronting for 62 1/2 feet on Front Street, running south 207 feet to Low Street. It was Lot #40 in the Mussers Town plan.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol GG, p. 508. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 588.
On 28 May 1774 Anna Margaretta Marlburg widow mortgaged to Christopher Graffort of the borough of Lancaster merchant, for £150 due one month after her decease, a lot in the borough of Lancaster containing in front on King Street 28 feet 8 1/4 inches and in depth to a 14 foot alley 245 feet bounded eastward by the other part of the same lot in possession of Brnard Wold southward by said alley westward by a lot formerly of Mathias Young and now of Christian Liepbe and northward by said street. Marlburg settled, and Graffort acknowledged satisfaction 8 April 1775.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol N, p. 564. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 876.
On 6 Oct 1788 Christopher Ox and Margaret his wife granted to Christopher Crawford of the borough of Lancaster store keeper, in consideration of £140, a lot in the borough of Lancaster containing in front on Prince Street, 64 feet 4 1/2 inches and in depth to Water Street, 148 feet bounded on the north by a lot late of Melchor Forinee deceased, on the west by Water Street, on the south by Chestnut Street, and of the East by prince Street.
Recorded Lancaster County, Pa., Deeds Vol GG, p. 562. Viewed on FamilySearch.org, image 615.18
- [S64] Lancaster County, Pa. Register of Wills. Will of Christopher Crawford, written 1804, proven 1816. Will Book M, page 1-2. Viewed on FHL Microfilm 21359, and on FamilySearch.org image 318.
- [S67] Lancaster First Reformed - Tombstones Lancaster, Pennsylvania, First Reformed Church. Inscriptions on tombstones in First Reformed Churchyard, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. FHL microfilm 20372, item 37. Bertha Cochran Landis. "These tombstones have been removed from their original places and at present are stored in the cellar of the church. The inscriptions were transcribed, by the Secretary of the Consistory, H. S. Granger [or Gruger], in an old minute book of the church, October 12th 1903."
- [S25] Church Records of the First Reformed Congregation at Lancaster 1736 - 1806,; copied by Dr. William J. Hinke; Reformed Churches in Eastern Penn.; Located at Hist. Soc. Of the Reformed Churches, Franklin & Marshall College Library, Lancaster. FHL Microfilm #20349 Item 2. typescript., Named as sponsor of twelve baptisms 1750 - 1765 with her husband.
- [S40] First Reformed Church, Lancaster Pa. (original records). Filmed at Franklin & Marshall College Library. In German; appear to be original records. FHL Microfilm #21452. [Some cited records translated by experienced FHC volunteer.], Item 2, deaths, p. 354.
- [S25] Church Records of the First Reformed Congregation at Lancaster 1736 - 1806,; copied by Dr. William J. Hinke; Reformed Churches in Eastern Penn.; Located at Hist. Soc. Of the Reformed Churches, Franklin & Marshall College Library, Lancaster. FHL Microfilm #20349 Item 2. typescript., p. 374.
- [S116] Williams, F. Colin. The Chronicles of a Reformed Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania : First Reformed Church, St. Paul's; St. John's; St. Andrew's; Church of the Apostles; Homestead Village. Lancaster, Pa., 2002. [Viewed 2011 at the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, Lancaster, Pa.]
- [S26] Clark, Martha Bladen, 'History of Lot 159 of the Hamilton Grant'. published in Papers Read Before the Lancaster Historical Society, Vol 20, No. 1 (1916) p. 5-18. [Google books May 2011]
- [S108] Strassburger, Ralph Beaver. Pennsylvania German Pioneers : A Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals In the Port of Philadelphia From 1727 to 1808. Vol I reprinted Genealogical Publ. Co. 1966; Vol. 2 reprinted Picton Press, 1992., p. 335,336, 338, Lists 97A, 97B, 972.
- [S26] Clark, Martha Bladen, 'History of Lot 159 of the Hamilton Grant'. published in Papers Read Before the Lancaster Historical Society, Vol 20, No. 1 (1916) p. 5-18. [Google books May 2011], p. 11-12.
- [S116] Williams, F. Colin. The Chronicles of a Reformed Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania : First Reformed Church, St. Paul's; St. John's; St. Andrew's; Church of the Apostles; Homestead Village. Lancaster, Pa., 2002. [Viewed 2011 at the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, Lancaster, Pa.], p. 128.
- [S25] Church Records of the First Reformed Congregation at Lancaster 1736 - 1806,; copied by Dr. William J. Hinke; Reformed Churches in Eastern Penn.; Located at Hist. Soc. Of the Reformed Churches, Franklin & Marshall College Library, Lancaster. FHL Microfilm #20349 Item 2. typescript.
- [S89] Pennsylvania Marriages Prior to 1790: Names of Persons for Whom Marriage Licenses Were Issued in the Province of Pennsylvania Previous to 1790. Baltimore, Genealogical Publishing Co., 1968., p. 61.
- [S116] Williams, F. Colin. The Chronicles of a Reformed Church in Lancaster, Pennsylvania : First Reformed Church, St. Paul's; St. John's; St. Andrew's; Church of the Apostles; Homestead Village. Lancaster, Pa., 2002. [Viewed 2011 at the Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society, Lancaster, Pa.], p. 105.
- [S17] bk Rupp - History of Lancaster Rupp, I. Daniel. History of Lancaster County; To which is prefixed a brief sketch of the eary history of Pennsylvania; compiled from authentic sources. published by Bilbert Hills, Lancaster, Penn. 1844 Facsimile reprint. Published 1990 by Heritage Books, Bowie, Maryland. [Sutro Lib.], p. 413.
- [S88] Pennsylvania Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. VII, Muster Rolls relating to the Associators and Militia of the County of Lancaster., pp. 3, 1079-1088.
- [S66] Lancaster County, Pennsylvania website - Genealogy Research: Historical Indexes, URL https://co.lancaster.pa.us/193/…., "Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Oaths of Allegiance Index 1777-1789 Transcribed from Deed Book 'L' within the Lancaster County Archives Collection, Deed Book 'L', page 377".
- [S33] Dubbs, Joseph Henry. History of Franklin and Marshall College. publ. Lancaster, Penn. 1903 Franklin and Marshall College Alumni Assoc., p. 26.
- [S60] Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania, Recorder of Deeds; Deeds, 1729-1867 ; Index, 1729-1894. FHL microfilm series. Viewed on FamilySearch.org.