M, #1686, d. 15 March 1682/83
Last Edited: 25 Mar 2012
- Immigration*: circa 1647; New York
- Note*: List of Proprietors of Hempstead in 1647: Ashman, Robert, 1650, at Hempstead; 1660 at Jamaica2
- Note: Appears in the 1671 census, as #10, at Passyunk [east side of the Schuylkill River in present south Philadelphia]. Robert Ashman, and his associates, received a grant 1 January 1667/8 for 1,000 acres, bounded on the north by Peter Rambo and on the east by Molbees [Mullica's?] land. Citing New York Patents, 3:125.
Robert Ashman (#10), from Hempstead, Long Island, leader of the group, returned to Jamaica, Long Island, before 1677 and died there 15 March 1682/3, survived by his widow Catharine, sister of Thomas Jeacox. On 22 July 1690, Lasse Cock (#2) and his wife Martha, and Olle Svensson (#4) and his wife Lydia sold their wives' shares of their father's 7-acre lot in Jamaica.3
- Note: "Ashman, Robert, of Jamaica. A nuncupative will produced in court 13 June, 1683, was pro. by the oaths of Ruth (?) Smith, Jonathan Furman, John Carman, & the widow. On 10 April, 1689, Katrina Ashman, the widow, Nathaniel Denton, Jr., her son-in-law, & Wait Smith, were apt. admrs. Inventory shows personal estate £50. Will not recorded."4
- [S2] 1671 Census of the Delaware. by Dr. Peter S. Craig. publ by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, 1999, Monograph Series no. 4., p. 16.
- [S114] "The Early History of Hempstead, L.I." by Charles B. Moore, The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. Vol 10 (Jan 1879), p. 5-16, p. 9.
- [S2] 1671 Census of the Delaware. by Dr. Peter S. Craig. publ by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, 1999, Monograph Series no. 4., p. 5, 16.
- [S11] "Abstracts of early wills of Queens County, New York, recorded in Libers A and C of Deeds, now in the Register's Office at Jamaica, New York" by Amos Canfield, in New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol LXV (Apr 1934), 114-120; (July 1934), 245-251; (Oct 1934), 319-328. Reprinted in book Long Island Source Records, compiled by Henry B. Hoff. Publ by Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore 1987, p. 127-149., p. 130.
- [S2] 1671 Census of the Delaware. by Dr. Peter S. Craig. publ by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, 1999, Monograph Series no. 4., p. 16 & 17.
- [S3] The 1693 Census of the Swedes of the Delaware; Family Histories of the Swedish Lutheran Church Members Residing in Pennsylvania, Delaware, West New Jersey & Cecil County, Md. 1638-1693. by Peter Stebbins Craig. Studies in Swedish American Genealogy 3; SAG Publications, Winter Park, Florida 1993., p. 29.